Forum Home | Store | Articles | Videos | Events

Go Back   Pendlay Forum > Pendlay Forum > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Default How long is your workout?

I know that it is dependant on several variables but on average how long does the average Oly lifter train per session. I've trained solo for about 6 months and most sessions have been 1 1/2-2 hours. Typical workout consists of both Oly lifts, squat, assistance movement and a complex. I have begun working with a very experienced lifter/coach and the pace is slowed down drastically. We are doing a little less work than I was and training for about 3 hours. Seems like I'm just getting too cold between lifts. I've mentioned it but I've been told that we are at a teaching pace. I don't feel like I need all this time to reflect between lifts. Figured I should throw this out there before I press the issue in case the answer is "shut up newbie and do what your told"

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
I know that it is dependant on several variables but on average how long does the average Oly lifter train per session. I've trained solo for about 6 months and most sessions have been 1 1/2-2 hours. Typical workout consists of both Oly lifts, squat, assistance movement and a complex. I have begun working with a very experienced lifter/coach and the pace is slowed down drastically. We are doing a little less work than I was and training for about 3 hours. Seems like I'm just getting too cold between lifts. I've mentioned it but I've been told that we are at a teaching pace. I don't feel like I need all this time to reflect between lifts. Figured I should throw this out there before I press the issue in case the answer is "shut up newbie and do what your told"

Thanks
Colossus,

Because it's near the end of the year.....oh, nevermind. If you are taking 3 friggin' hours to do less work(unless there are a good number of lifters working with you and the workout is slowed by that....ah, nah) then you are not going at a "teaching pace". You're going at a "coma pace". "Experienced", "good", or not, 3 hours is too long a time to be working out.

And, if the answer to questions is often "shut up and do what you're told" run, don't walk, out the door. You're better off on your own.

CoachMc
Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 PM

1.5-2 hours is about the norm for me unless i'm talking and BSing the 3-3.5 is very easy...
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM

1.5-2 hours
Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 PM

From the time I first pick up a bar, to when I put it back up in the corner: most sessions are right at an hour. If I split session into an accessory one and then the lifts (so like squats and lighter lifts one session, then heavier classic lifts and maybe some post. chain work, or any other weaknesses) then nomrally 40ish minutes for each session.

I generally can't afford to be in there for 2 hours at a time, and I take pretty biggish jumps warming up most of the time
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Thanks Guys I appreciate the input. Glad to find that I'm not being unreasonable. Time to deal with this.

Happy New Year
Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 PM

It depends on how much volume and accessory work I do, but it varies between 1.5 and 3 hours. A 3 hour session generally involves a lot of time shooting the shit during the warmup and cooldown / stretching.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Usually pushed for time, so on average 45-75 mins. I'm lifting by myself though. Zero bullshitting and as little rest between sets as I can handle. I find I'm usually pretty beat up by 1 hour.

Last edited by Whit Matthews; 12-30-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM

About 2 hours, snatches/clean& jerks/squats/accessory.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM

Typically, 1-1.5hrs, especially when I lift by myself during the week and I am working. In between work assignments, I can get a slightly longer session, 1.5-2.0 hrs.