Forum Home | Store | Articles | Videos | Events

Go Back   Pendlay Forum > Pendlay Forum > Strength Training

Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 PM

Default Only Front Squats

For those of you who put more emphasis on the front squat (than the back), how do you or how would you program it for high frequency? Do you experience greater progression though "higher" volumes or higher intensities?

For about a year I back squatted 3x a week, working up to a 1 or 2RM, followed with 3-5 doubles or triples. 2 days a week I front squatted to a 3RM and then dropped for one set of 5. In that time I watch my back squat climb from 180 to a hair under 220. At the same time, I easily pushed my front squat 3RM from 135 to 170. All @ 78bw.

Fast forward, I sustain a back injury (work related) and back squats are now out of the question; for the time being anyway. Right now I'm just trying to piece together something that can really push my front squat up. I've always thrived off my back squat, so I'm not really sure how to approach the front squat only, high frequency setup. Its even harder considering my entire mind set for years has been that its the back squat that really pushes the front squat.

Just looking for some ideas to play around with...
Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 AM

I have a bit of a bad back from working in the garden too much so i feel your pain! I am doing the squat nemesis program where you do a daily squat 1rm (good form, if you pause half way or the form is crap that's your 1rm so not absolute all out). you do that then 3x3 starting @70% of that 1rm, working up. Ideally you would do more than 3 sets, but i only ever have time for 3. then do 2x5 at between 50-60% if your daily 1rm but for speed. try that for a few weeks, 5days a week see how you get on. im on week 2 at legs aren't too bad it's more CNS taxing as the volume isn't massive, most of the volume is well below the 75% level anyway.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Ben Claridad just posted about high frequency, high intensity front squats, kind of.

http://alongthelinesof.com/
Old 10-10-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbartley View Post
I have a bit of a bad back from working in the garden too much so i feel your pain! I am doing the squat nemesis program where you do a daily squat 1rm (good form, if you pause half way or the form is crap that's your 1rm so not absolute all out). you do that then 3x3 starting @70% of that 1rm, working up. Ideally you would do more than 3 sets, but i only ever have time for 3. then do 2x5 at between 50-60% if your daily 1rm but for speed. try that for a few weeks, 5days a week see how you get on. im on week 2 at legs aren't too bad it's more CNS taxing as the volume isn't massive, most of the volume is well below the 75% level anyway.

Thanks for this, reminds me a bit of Nick Norton's take on high frequency squatting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenco View Post
Ben Claridad just posted about high frequency, high intensity front squats, kind of.

http://alongthelinesof.com/
Now thats interesting... will await his full post. Thanks.