Forum Home | Store | Articles | Videos | Events

Go Back   Pendlay Forum > Pendlay Forum > Diet, Supplements, and Weight Loss

Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 AM

Default Macronutrient Ratios

The discussion regarding alcohol on another recent thread got me thinking about everyone's real world nutritional habits regarding protein, carbs and fats. If everyone wouldn't mind I'd like to hear what everyone eats regularly (not specific foods), but I'd be interested to hear the following from those willing to share:

Bodyweight, grams of protein/day, grams of fatcarbs per day (if you keep track), amount of water/fluid, and how your lifting goes when you eat a certain way.

I don't mean how you try to eat, but rather what actually happens on a day to day basis. Do you aim for 1g protein per lb of bodyweight...or per lb of lean bodyweight, etc?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansbrough View Post
The discussion regarding alcohol on another recent thread got me thinking about everyone's real world nutritional habits regarding protein, carbs and fats. If everyone wouldn't mind I'd like to hear what everyone eats regularly (not specific foods), but I'd be interested to hear the following from those willing to share:

Bodyweight, grams of protein/day, grams of fatcarbs per day (if you keep track), amount of water/fluid, and how your lifting goes when you eat a certain way.

I don't mean how you try to eat, but rather what actually happens on a day to day basis. Do you aim for 1g protein per lb of bodyweight...or per lb of lean bodyweight, etc?
Today I weigh 145 lbs.

I used to aim for 1g of protein per lb but I don't give it that much thought anymore. I just eat a lot of meat and a lot of vegetables. And a lot of everything else lol. I would guess that I get no more than 200g a day in carbs, but it varies. For my size I eat a lot.

I tend to eat like a construction worker for a few weeks, then I have regrets and clean it up for a bit and then after a while I go back to my old habits. Always lots of meat. Steak and eggs especially. I think it actually works well for me because for a woman my age I have a decent amount of lean muscle mass and I think I could put on more if I didn't get squeamish at the scale or that my clothes are getting tight.

What I find is my performance is best when I eat the 'worst,' worst being KFC, cake and Denny's lumberjack breakfast. I can't eat like that all of the time because the salt kills me and makes me feel crappy. I can do pretty well with fatty cuts of steak and some potatoes, cooked at home so less salt.

Many days it feels like I train to support my appetite rather than the other way around :=)

I almost never drink, but not for any reason other than I get hungover easily and I hate it. I used to be able to drink more but now it's not worth it.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 AM

Yeah I've found a lot of lifters who've said similar things when it comes to eating "the worst," which is paradoxical I guess. Sad to admit but I tend to not get enough protein on a lot of days. Couple of reasons:
1) I can be lazy & I hate cooking no matter how simple it may be.
2) I'm not a big fan of supplements in large quantities.
3) my cholesterol was borderline high so I recently cut down on meats. It got my cholesterol down to normal but now it makes it harder to get enough protein.

I weigh 94kgs, though I must admit it's not all muscle and I seem to gain weight more easily now that I'm 34 y/o. I notice my strength improves much more with higher protein (there's a shock).

Thanks for the reply. Always interested to hear how other lifters approach this. If it weren't for the obvious struggle with protein I wouldn't pay much attention to it either. But getting upwards of 180g/day in a healthy way isn't always easy. 180 seems to be where I function best and is adjusted for an approximate lean body weight.

I also notice a difference with higher carbs, but I usually eat plenty without paying attention to it. I've increased my healthy fats, but haven't noticed any effect training wise.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
3) my cholesterol was borderline high so I recently cut down on meats. It got my cholesterol down to normal but now it makes it harder to get enough protein.
Eat more fish?

Katherine
Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I don't count macronutrients, so my answer is not gonna be quite what you asked for but this is how I eat and it has been fairly successful for a variety of lifters who have lived with me and have dropped weight while maintaining or adding strength.

Breakfast, eggs and some sort of meat, sometimes with something like salsa on the eggs.

Lunch, leftovers from the supper night before much of the time, every once in a while eat out, or not eat lunch at all.

Supper is normally one of about 3 things. One of those would be some sort of stir fry, with chicken or tri-tip, and mixed vegetables. I use a variety of the frozen vegetable bags available at the supermarket. One of my favorites is beef along with brocoli or brocoli and cauliflower. But I try and mix up the veggies and use different stuff from time to time. An example of a different veggie mix is here:

http://glennpendlay.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/food/

If I am cooking for someone who needs extra calories to maintain weight, I will add rice to the stir fry, but that hasn't been the case for a while.

Another option is the salad I described here http://glennpendlay.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/supper/

The third major option is stew, which I make every couple of weeks and one crock pot full makes quite a few meals. It's a simple stew, just meat and carrots and potatoes, and sometimes some celery. I vary the amount of potatoes, if there are no weight problems currently residing with me, it will be a fair amount of potatoes, if someone in the house is cutting, it will be mostly meat and carrots and celery with very few potatoes.

In fact I think I will make a blog post about how I make stew tonight, happen to have a crock pot full sitting here that I just made yesterday!

It does vary some, for instance today i came home for lunch and made a salad. Every once in a while someone will be craving fried rice, which will be more heavy on the rice and less heavy on the meat and veggies but of course will have eggs in it. And, since I do make the worlds best spaghetti and the worlds best home made pizza, about once a month I will treat myself to one or the other. But I would say that about 90% of the time I eat as described above.

I guess from the foods you can approximate the macro nutrient profile... heavy on protein and fat, relatively few carbs, and a lot of vegetables.

I feel good eating this way, the lifters who eat at my house do well on it and tend to lose some fat, so, seems to be working.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 PM

Do you do calorie counting? And one more, don't you have anything to eat for snacks and stuff?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kderbyshire View Post
Eat more fish?

Katherine
Very good advice for a lot of people.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
Breakfast, eggs and some sort of meat, sometimes with something like salsa on the eggs.

Lunch, leftovers from the supper night before much of the time, every once in a while eat out, or not eat lunch at all.

Supper is normally one of about 3 things. One of those would be some sort of stir fry, with chicken or tri-tip, and mixed vegetables. If I am cooking for someone who needs extra calories to maintain weight, I will add rice to the stir fry, but that hasn't been the case for a while.

It does vary some, for instance today i came home for lunch and made a salad. Every once in a while someone will be craving fried rice, which will be more heavy on the rice and less heavy on the meat and veggies but of course will have eggs in it. And, since I do make the worlds best spaghetti and the worlds best home made pizza, about once a month I will treat myself to one or the other. But I would say that about 90% of the time I eat as described above.

I guess from the foods you can approximate the macro nutrient profile... heavy on protein and fat, relatively few carbs, and a lot of vegetables.

I feel good eating this way, the lifters who eat at my house do well on it and tend to lose some fat, so, seems to be working.
Coach,

That seems somewhat contrary to what a lot of people say regarding a lifters' diet. Obviously it works though which is what counts. Where would you rate the importance of nutrition in weightlifting, not including considerations for making weight prior to a meet? Do you make any specific recommendations to your lifters? I know I've read on Donny's blog he recommends basically always consuming protein.

The variety of recommendations always seemed interesting to me.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 PM

I am a 29 year old male at 104kg and 6'3.5". I am a trainer/coach who is pretty active on a daily basis and I tend to sit around 13% bf easilyish. Any leaner and it's work.
I get between 200 and 300 grams of pro per day and 3000-4000 cals on average. So if 1000 cals come from pro then 2000-3000 come from fat and carbs. On non trainin days I eat fewer carbs (75-175 grams) and on training days (or any day I choose to over eat) my carbs are between 200-400. Mostly rice cakes, some fruit, potatoes, occasional ice cream or a bit of bread, rice. Fats come from coconut, evoo, grassfed cream and butter, ghee and animal fats. Bacon strips!

I tend to only have a bit o cream until 10 or 11 am where my first meals is typically 8 eggs few to no carbs. I backload my eating and this works well for me. I use pro powder around workout and to supplement but I'd say a dozen eggs and a pound of meat and 2 scoops of pro is very normal. Maybe a fe cans of fish too. I don't do other dairy.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 AM

I tend to eat like a construction worker for a few weeks, then I have regrets and clean it up for a bit and then after a while I go back to my old habits. Always lots of meat. Steak and eggs especially. I think it actually works well for me because for a woman my age I have a decent amount of lean muscle mass and I think I could put on more if I didn't get squeamish at the scale or that my clothes are getting tight.