Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Default Dirty Dancing

http://www.pendlay.com/Dirty-Dancing_df_64.html

Discuss...
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Patrick Swayze at his best.

Oh, you mean the drill.

What's the difference between this and the "retreat the hips" drill as far as extending up on the toes?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Petty View Post
Patrick Swayze at his best.

Oh, you mean the drill.

What's the difference between this and the "retreat the hips" drill as far as extending up on the toes?
Differences in the drill seem to mirror other differences between Don and Sean... Don is much more adamant than Sean about staying on the heels and staying away from full triple extension.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 AM

Default Dirty Dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
Differences in the drill seem to mirror other differences between Don and Sean... Don is much more adamant than Sean about staying on the heels and staying away from full triple extension.
Glenn,

Let's say it this way. It's not that I have lifters stay away from triple extension, it's that I don't believe the final part of that movement(plantar flexion) is critical to driving the bar. However, some split second triple extension is necessary for most to gain direction and/or foot position at the catch. More important than the degree to which this is done is how quickly you regain flat-footed status to receive the bar.

But, enough of that. Dirty Dancing, whether you do or don't believe in driving right through the highest point you can get to in triple extension, is a drill that teaches you to stay over the base of support and works on retreating the hips in as fast a manner as possible. And, faster is always better.

CoachMc
Old 02-27-2011, 01:47 PM

The article mentions other drills:

" This drill, along with “Front, back, middle of the feet”, “Straight/angled back”, “The heel-jump” and “Now, up against the wall” are movement and balance drills that are critical to preparing your mind and body to learn the lifts. "

Is there somewhere I could find a description of these?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieD View Post
The article mentions other drills:

" This drill, along with “Front, back, middle of the feet”, “Straight/angled back”, “The heel-jump” and “Now, up against the wall” are movement and balance drills that are critical to preparing your mind and body to learn the lifts. "

Is there somewhere I could find a description of these?

Thanks!
I have a feeling that, given the generous compensation package I offer to authors, Don is simply trying to set himself up for future articles...
Old 02-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
I have a feeling that, given the generous compensation package I offer to authors, Don is simply trying to set himself up for future articles...
Glenn,

Yes, it's all part of my devious plan to climb to the top of the New Yourk Times Best Sellers list.

CoachMc
Old 02-27-2011, 05:39 PM

Is there a video of this anywhere? I'm conceptually trying to follow, but I'm very much....simple when it comes to following written instructions.

I loved the rock and roll drill. I can see it having impact once i can resume lifting.

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Is there a video of this anywhere? I'm conceptually trying to follow, but I'm very much....simple when it comes to following written instructions.

I loved the rock and roll drill. I can see it having impact once i can resume lifting.

All the best,
Arden
Arden,

I'll try to get a vid. on youtube tomorrow.

CoachMc
Old 02-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACHMCCAULEY View Post
Glenn,

Yes, it's all part of my devious plan to climb to the top of the New Yourk Times Best Sellers list.

CoachMc
Don,

I would expect you to have a plan. After all, failing to plan is planning to fail.

But then again, sometimes a plan can be no help at all. Once after driving for 20 some odd hours with no sleep to a weightlifting meet somewhere, Dr. Michael Hartman and I arrived at the conclusion that if we could develop a gun that could shoot around corners, we would be on the fast track to world domination. It hasnt quite worked out.

Glenn