Forum Home | Store | Articles | Videos | Events

Go Back   Pendlay Forum > Pendlay Forum > Article Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Default MMA training

I just put an article up about MMA training, love to know what you guys think about it...
Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 PM

Glenn, by walking lunges without much knee bend, are you referring to the "death march"? In the video you discuss doing sets of it but in the article you discuss a 10 min walk

also, any idea on a good stating weight?

Great article btw
Old 12-03-2010, 01:19 PM

also what do you think of kb swings for conditioning? And when you do them do you swing the kb to chin level?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Magoo View Post
Glenn, by walking lunges without much knee bend, are you referring to the "death march"? In the video you discuss doing sets of it but in the article you discuss a 10 min walk

also, any idea on a good stating weight?

Great article btw
I do indeed mean the death march. When I wrote that article, I wrote it for an MMA site and didn't figure anyone reading would be familiar with the death march.

If you are a weightlifter and using this exercise, I would suggest a couple of sets of 40 yard marches, increasing weight as needed. For an MMA guy, I would take a set weight and try to walk as continuously as possible for 10 minutes, keeping track of how far you walk in total. try to increase the mileage covered. When you are walking the whole 10 minutes without stoping, increase the weight.

A good weight to start with for an average sized adult is 35lb dumbells.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Magoo View Post
also what do you think of kb swings for conditioning? And when you do them do you swing the kb to chin level?
I think they are great. Anything ballistic like swings, snatches, or clean and jerks is wonderful for conditioning, and the KB is a great tool to do these things. And yes, we swing them to about face height... swinging higher isn't very smart in my opinion.

In fact, if you cold pull a sled, push a prowler, do the death march, and swing, snatch, and clean and jerk a KB... that would be about the best 6 conditioning exercises I could think of.

Last edited by glennpendlay; 12-03-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:06 PM

what do you think of the tabata protocol on the bike? I am also curious about what I feel to be all the bastardized tabata protocols like jumping jack tabatas
Old 12-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Administrator

I think Tabata is a good protocol, but it's not the final word in conditioning.

As far as the bastardization of Tabata, well, anytime you go all out for a period, rest for a period, and repeat... anytime you do that you are gonna be doing some serious conditioning if the exercise is at all demanding. But I do agree that it can get kind of silly when a person seems to be bent on finding more and more unusual things to apply a certain protocol to...
Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 AM

Hey!!! useful thread. Actually I want to go for modeling .but there is some problem that is I have not an attractive body shape. So please give me that type of MMA suggestion so that i got an attractive body.

mma training
Old 01-23-2011, 02:51 AM

what about circuits ? you dont think they are important for mma athletes ?

thanks.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
I just put an article up about MMA training, love to know what you guys think about it...
Hi, Glenn.

Couple of questions about this routine,

1)Is it OK to use Dumbbells for Bench instead of Barbell? My Gym has DB's up to 70k, and I've been looking for an excuse to play with them. Also, I have long arms, so Mr Barbell Bench is not my friend.

2)Can you recommend an alternative to step ups? The gym I train at is in a vaulted cellar; we don't have the head clearance for a tall person to stand on a Bench.

We do have an Oly Gym as well, but that's in a different part of the building and we are not allowed to transfer Dumbbells from one Gym to another.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading your response.