Forum Home | Store | Articles | Videos | Events

Go Back   Pendlay Forum > Pendlay Forum > Article Discussion

Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default Sweep the Bar (McCauley)

A great new article on sweeping the bar in towards you during the pull, read here=>

http://www.pendlay.com/Sweep-the-Bar_df_69.html

discuss...
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 PM

I think this is another example of basic weightlifting technique that just gets overlooked precisely because it's basic. Fundamentals seem to get overlooked sometimes even though they're the most critical components of any sports skill. We all know, or should know, bar trajectory is an essential element of WL technique and articles stressing the fundamentals of WL are appreciated.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:17 AM

Default sweeping is essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansbrough View Post
I think this is another example of basic weightlifting technique that just gets overlooked precisely because it's basic. Fundamentals seem to get overlooked sometimes even though they're the most critical components of any sports skill. We all know, or should know, bar trajectory is an essential element of WL technique and articles stressing the fundamentals of WL are appreciated.
mhansbrough,

It amazes me that I don't see much of it being done by lifters at the national level, nevermind local, in this country. It's not even mentioned in teaching manuals. And, you are right: it's basic.

I'll try to have a video up on youtube today about how I start teaching it in my progression.

CoachMc
Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 AM

link? I have found your videos very useful lately!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Default The sweep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Petty View Post
link? I have found your videos very useful lately!
Christine,

It is on youtube now: The Sweep Don McCauley

Hope it helps.

CoachMc
Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM

I just watched the video. Your videos are excellent.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZR2tolczAo

Here's the link for anyone looking for it. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:49 PM

Another helpful video coach. One question, what cue would you use for each lift on where to stop the pull in this drill & where should the bar be on the thigh for each lift? Until the knees are straight?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Default How high is too high. How low is not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansbrough View Post
Another helpful video coach. One question, what cue would you use for each lift on where to stop the pull in this drill & where should the bar be on the thigh for each lift? Until the knees are straight?
mhan,

That's a good question. What I find myself cueing lifters to do is to stay with the leg drive thru the heels longer than they want to!! That sounds ambiguous, I know, but giving lifters angles and ranges of angles confuses the issue even more.
In the sweep drill you'll note about where the bar touches the thighs(in a real lift the bar won't touch the thighs there but only after the dkb is performed). That's about how long you stay with the leg drive before you start the dkb. The INCREDIBLY important thing is that you start to allow your knees to go back forward and NOT go immediately back into the forefeet as the knees travel forward. AND, THAT, AT THE SAME TIME THEY GO FORWARD, YOU EXTEND THE HIPS A BIT TO KEEP THE BAR MOVING VERTICALLY. That combination of movements and balance on the feet will put you in the power position for the 2nd pull. At this point the balance may be on the forefeet (heels migh even be raised by some) but may still be at mid or even rear-feet. AND, in my opinion, that is the first place the bar should really touch you(the drill has you hold it against your thighs for emphasis only). Since I consider this all 1st pull activity, I think this spot(Launch Point) should be higher rather than lower on the thighs (clean) or on the pubic bone(snatch).

Slightly off topic addition:

What happens a lot in this country because of the faulty idea that lifts are a "jump and shrug up" is that lifters 1)pull too straight, which puts them too far forward right from the start and then 2) have the initial contact with their thighs too far down the legs because of the already too far forward balancing on their feet is toppling them and they must lift their torsos too quickly in the lift to maintain control. This means they start the 2nd pull with the bar too low and too forward. That takes kgs away from any lift.

CoachMc
Old 03-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Default Sweep the olympic lifts video-don mccauley

I don't know if it makes much difference in how you search for this video, but that's what the name of it is now.

Hope it's useful.

CoachMc