Forum Home | Store | Articles | Videos | Events

Go Back   Pendlay Forum > Pendlay Forum > Equipment

Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 PM

Default questions about some bars

I want to get a 28mm bar for my home, but im having trouble deciding.

personally, i like a rougher knurled bar, like werksan's. My personal favorite knurling is the one on a new mystery York bar that I recently used in the warmup region of a local meet. Unfortunately, the knurls ends too soon in the center of the bar, so it doesnt grab onto me as well as I would like in the rack position. im not a big fan of the knurl on pendlay ng bearing bar

Anyhow, I'm basically trying to decide between:

Rogue Mens 20kg 28mm Training Bar. Never heard anything about this bar, but its 28mm, 185k tensile strength, bushing(?), $370

DHS training: 28mm(i think), bearing, has anyone used this bar? $379

Mystery New York: i think its this bar: http://www.roguefitness.com/york-wei...-bars-1103.php
Marty Shnorf, the coach at my gym told me that this bar is not great and will probably bend @ over 400 lbs. So, im kinda wary. $300 shipped.

tl;dr:

Rogue Men's Training Bar.
Bushing
370 dollars
concerned about knurl

DHS
Bearing
warranty? Knurl?
379 dollars

York:
concerned about strength of bar, but its CHEEEEP.

what do yall think is the best choice
Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 PM

I've not lifted on the Rogue Bar or the York bar. But, I have lifted on the DHS bar down in Tucson a couple of times. The knurling on that bar is a bit smooth. Fairly similar to the Pendlay NB bar, but chromed, so a little bit more slippery during humid days (which we don't get here in AZ too often). However, it is a good bar!!!

I personally like the Werksan training bar in terms of knurling, somewhat sharp but not enough to really do too much damage to the hands really. At our gym I usually use the Eleiko training bars or the Pendlay NB (bearing) bars.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 PM

thanks! hmm, thats kind of annoying that the dhs has softer knurl.

i forgot to mention that i prefer center knurl, but i dont mind slappin on some tape or something, it doens't make a bid difference, especially less on non-chrome bars.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Werksan has rough knurling? I train on Eleiko and when I got it my first thought was "this shit is rip my hands!" (used Pendlay before which is much much softer). I competed on Werksan once and loved how the bar felt, very smooth.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:34 PM

when using both, the werksan feels sharper to me, and its "lower grit" would be the only way i can think of explaining it lol. but it might be newer than the eleiko i dunno. still, i cant afford either of those, so, moot point.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyZhang View Post
I want to get a 28mm bar for my home, but im having trouble deciding.

personally, i like a rougher knurled bar, like werksan's. My personal favorite knurling is the one on a new mystery York bar that I recently used in the warmup region of a local meet. Unfortunately, the knurls ends too soon in the center of the bar, so it doesnt grab onto me as well as I would like in the rack position. im not a big fan of the knurl on pendlay ng bearing bar

Anyhow, I'm basically trying to decide between:

Rogue Mens 20kg 28mm Training Bar. Never heard anything about this bar, but its 28mm, 185k tensile strength, bushing(?), $370

DHS training: 28mm(i think), bearing, has anyone used this bar? $379

Mystery New York: i think its this bar: http://www.roguefitness.com/york-wei...-bars-1103.php
Marty Shnorf, the coach at my gym told me that this bar is not great and will probably bend @ over 400 lbs. So, im kinda wary. $300 shipped.

tl;dr:

Rogue Men's Training Bar.
Bushing
370 dollars
concerned about knurl

DHS
Bearing
warranty? Knurl?
379 dollars

York:
concerned about strength of bar, but its CHEEEEP.

what do yall think is the best choice
DHS barbell is no longer 379 over at dynamic fitness (the only place im aware that sells the bar). it is now 469 and has been for quite a while
Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 AM

http://dhs-usa.com/herculesitems.html

Here its 379.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM

Default the York bar in question

I own one of these York bars. Mine was a bit cheaper, from a different source.

My main complaint is the knurling. It is deep and coarse. For me, this meant lots of attention to hand care- daily filing of callouses, etc. Still have had a fair share of torn callouses as a result of the knurling. Others' experiences may be different than mine.

The collars certainly spin nicely, given the price.

I don't lift very heavy, in general, so I've never had concerns about overloading it. I've done a few heavy rack pulls and the bar bent, then bent back as it should.

I've been eyeing the DHS bars myself as an economical option. I prefer a lighter knurl, I guess.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Default Better resale value?

I like the bars that have lifetime warranties.
A little more expensive but they come with a free insurance policies.

For my house I'm shopping for a wood floor that has lifetime warranty.
I plan to move in 5 years, but I know I'm going to get one hell of a nice floor with no problems.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 PM

Eleiko Eleiko Eleiko. DHS is a decent bar. But I am a picky lifter. Sharp knurling is the best. I never do any hand care. The only time I had my hands rip was the first month of lifting 12 years ago. I have used york, Pendley, Uesaka, zkc Rogue also.

I would rank them in this order, eleiko, york, ZKC, uesaka,DHS , Rogue, then pendley.

Last edited by Floyd Nelson; 04-20-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: forgot DHS